Monday, November 8, 2010

Thankful

With all of the changes that have been going on in my work life, it's nice to spend the weekend with friends and family and really relax. It's a funny thing I'm finding, that when you don't hate your job, you feel so much more energized to do all of the other one million things you are required to do.  Hating your job is a very exhausting and arduous task that sucks the life out of you, day by day. Now that I don't hate my job, I'm finding I have leaps and bounds more energy to devote to my personal life. I knew and hoped that this change would be for the better, and I'm really relaxing and letting myself breathe again.

I've been thinking lately about how we are always thinking and working towards the next big thing, or goal. When you really think about it, at what point are you really ever thankful for and living in THIS moment? Where you are today.  Once I started my new job, I started to ask that question. How long can I enjoy this moment and appreciate where I am, before it becomes about getting to the next level? I realized that if you never slow down and feel thankful, you're never truly in the moment, appreciating this part of your life.

I'm consciously trying to slow down and enjoy "this phase." This phase where even though I still have career goals, or may want a bigger family, or a bigger house, I enjoy THIS phase of my life. It's not something I'm accustomed to, because I'm a very forward looking person. I guess maybe some people don't have to work at this, or maybe don't think about having to do this, but I realize now that I do, and I want to do it.

This phase for me is about many things. It's about spending time with Ian, who I love dearly and who spoils me with treats and is entirely way too good to me. It's about loving my beautiful daughter, and seeing how she changes into a little girl every single day and leaves her baby self behind. It's about bonding with my step daughters: having fun bundled up in blankets watching Disney movies, enjoying our new kitten Frank, and singing and dancing with Lauren. I'm watching their sister bonds literally form before my eyes, and I'm still working on getting to know their personalities and who they are as people. This phase is about watching my parents enjoy being grandparents, and seeing the joy that Lauren brings to them. This phase is about enjoying Ian's wonderful family, and being appreciative that I have a second home away from home. It's also about staying close with my girlfriends and keeping it real and having fun. Even though we are older, sitting down with my oldest friends makes me feel young again. All of these things are important to me, make me happy, and for that I'm extremely thankful.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, in between the crunchy fall leaves, chocolate covered, scary, holiday of Halloween and the larger than life, happy, exciting, (stressful), holy Christmas holiday season. This year I'm going to try and really enjoy it!

"If you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow, you have no today to be thankful for." ~Unknown

♥ V :)

No comments:

Post a Comment