Sunday, August 29, 2010

Camping and Canoeing!

I'm exhausted, filthy dirty and have an enormously busy week ahead, but if I don't post something tonight, there won't be any time!  The laundry is piled to the ceiling, I haven't showered since Friday but it was all so worth it to get away and go camping and canoeing this weekend.  I seriously couldn't take ONE more minute of corporate America after this week. I had to leave all of my stress at the office and head out into the beautiful, great, green outdoors...

Yesterday we did a million different things at Turkey Run.  We hiked trail number 3 (accidentally picked one that was treacherous - oops), which was beautiful and scary and fun!  We checked out the nature center.  We played 18 holes of putt putt golf, in which I WON (and therefore Ian lost, so we got to hike another trail this morning.)  We raced go karts (and watched some hill jack type people try to fight each other, and one actually pulled a gun. It's a long story, but let me tell you one thing: the people in Parke County are just DIFFERENT, OK. It's another world over there.)

Back at our cabin, which was basically the equivalent of sleeping in a shed when it's 90 degrees out with no air conditioning, we roasted hot dogs and made S'mores. And then we settled in and tried to sleep. It was HOT up in that cabin last night!! I have never appreciated air conditioning more in my life upon our return home. NEEEEVER.  (A lot of strange events on this trip related to people we saw - this morning I woke up to the couple next door fighting for two hours. Like, dropping the f' bomb fighting, over and over again.  THEN, we passed them on a trail this morning! Like a happy little normal family just hiking! It was bizarre. Olivia pointed at the woman and said, "That is the woman that was yelling!" She smirked at us.  Oh, what comes out of the mouths of babes.)

This morning we headed over to the Turkey Run Inn for the breakfast buffet. It was a magical breakfast experience. The donuts and french toast sticks were de-lic-ious.  Then we hit trail #6. Another beautiful trail, with lots of interesting things to take in. We stopped by the pool to swim for an hour, Gobbler's know for a snack, and then off to canoeing!

Thanks to Kelly and Nick for planning the canoe trip. We had a GREAT time!  I had not a care in the world floating and paddling down the long, winding, lazy river. It was fun to stop, throw back a couple drinks and catch up with Abbey and Kelly. It's been a while since we have gotten to see any friends, so I really appreciated everyone getting together.

It's back to the grind this week...another grueling budget week with month end close thrown in for fun. It will be insanely, miserably busy. I'm already looking forward to the looong, lazy three day weekend for Labor Day. Summer is almost over, and we have squeezed in every fun thing we possibly could. It's exhausting AND exhilarating and I've loved (almost) ever minute of it! Everyone have a great week! (I'll be paddling in my mind on the river, not in my cubicle if you need me...)

♥ V :)

No comments:

Post a Comment