Christmas Day!!!
7:45am: My baby's first Christmas!!! Err...she won't really know it, but I will. It's just Lauren this year; the big girls are with their family. I'm thinking, why didn't I play Santa last night. Oh yeah, that would be because I was too busy getting drunk with Mr. Awesome. The holidays make us all happy and lovey and we do things like staying up until the wee hours of the morning that we wouldn't normally do. Which brings me back to why I'm searching for batteries, running to the trunk in the snow, and going to my closet to pull together the big first Christmas spread!
8:30am: I tell Ian that I don't care if it is for 15 seconds, we are going down as a family to give Lauren's presents to her. Proceed to her crib, where I coo and tell her, "Merry Christmas babeeee girl!!!" I think she really just wants her milk and clean pants, but whatever. Downstairs. Mommy elation!! My baby is a big girl. She gets big girl toys. Her first basketball goal. I'm caught between wanting her to be a professional ice skater and the next WNBA star, but it can't hurt to give her the chance to start her hoops career at an early age. Ian and I secretly want to play with it ourselves because it doesn't count numbers back at us or colors in an annoying loud sing-songy voice, and because we can throw miniature orange balls at it. She chews on the ball. Ian was right. He said she would do that. He wanted to get her a stack of remote controls and old cell phones and pile them up under the tree, but I think my spread is much better!! After his promised 15 seconds, daddio is back in bed.
12:00am - We have nursed our massive hangovers as best as we can and we are headed to my mom and dad's house, sparkly presents in tow. We arrive and I start devouring meatballs and hot tasty appetizer things with a vengeance. With a glass of egg nog in hand (I briefly consider how many carbs are in it and I almost vomit) we tackle the mountain, and I do mean Mt. Everest size mountain of presents. Lauren is the first grandchild and my sister's one and only niece. Dear God, we need a u-haul to haul our loot home!! Family, you went overboard!! Everything is glorious!!!
5:00pm - We have hit the parent jackpot. Grandparents have asked to keep baby Lauren. After half-joking to leave the formula from CVS in the mailbox, we skid out of parking lot, with visions of sleep and more sleep dancing in our heads. Freedom. Sweeeet Freedoooooom!!!!!!!
6:30pm - Arrive at grammy's adult Christmas party. Guzzle many glasses of champagne and enjoy crab legs and some kind of fancy meat with a veal reduction sauce. Watch her single friend invite Cliff to try out her yoga studio and almost fall out of my chair over the ludicrousness of her invite, from sheer exhaustion and the buzz from the champagne.
10:30pm - We. survived. four. Christmases. in. two. days. Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!! We have wonderful, wonderful family. I'm going to bed for a week now, goodbye...........................
♥ V :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment