Ian and I made an astonishing discovery last night. Our baby is a genius after midnight.
I went in to check on Lauren one last time before heading to bed around 11:30 or so. I like to put her blanket back on her one last time before I go to bed, and of course I like to stare at her while she is sleeping, because that's what's parents do - it's one of the perks of parenthood - staring at your children in their most perfect, angelic state. I walked in her room - and my baby was not sleeping. She was chilling with Violet, her talking puppy, and most definitely not sleeping, as she should be doing at that hour. I decided to make the commitment to get her up - because it is a commitment at that hour - she isn't going to just calmly go back to bed like magic now - and took her downstairs for some extra play time.
You might think that she would be sleepy and groggy and grouchy. But not so! She is a Hancock/Cantwell breed, and we are night people. People of the night, who come alive at the witching hour! Our baby is no different. She proceeded to come alive, girgling and playing and generally showing off as she knew she had our undivided attention - no dinner to cook, mail to sort or laundry to fold.
And I am not joking - she proceeded to use and play with every single one of her toys perfectly. What does this mean? It means that instead of playing with a sock on the ground, she actually interacted and worked her big girl toys! She methodically went to each one. I won't go into great detail, but it was fascinating to say the least. She even pulled herself up to the ottoman for good measure. I think she sensed she better do some pretty spectacular feats or her baby bottom was going straight back to bed.
One of the more taboo topics of parenthood is constantly analyzing your child for skills and talents and just generally wondering, and fearing, if they need to wear a helmet. For now, Ian and I are off watch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment