Monday, March 21, 2011

Tanning and travels

Random mother discussion for the day: No one tells you when you become a mother that you are going to possibly never be tan again.  You take a little thing like your skin being tan and tawny for granted when you don't have children. No one tells you you don't even get tan in the summer.  I try to go to the pool, but Lauren is not much of a water baby. She is fair skinned, with blue eyes and strawberry blond hair, so it is probably for the best. And going to the pool while she naps is not very easy as I'm always wondering when she will wake up. Plus, I am always worrying that Ian thinks I am a horrible mother for basking in the sun if she is awake and I am not there. So, there has really been very little sunbathing going on since I had Lauren.

However, now I am so pale that my skin has officially taken on a bluish tint. I am so pale that Ian and I look like an interracial couple.

It is time; time to be tan again. This has gone on long enough. 

I detest tanning beds, I detest the tan smell, I hate paying for it and I really don't have the time. But Ian is worried that I am going to be the color of my ivory dress when I walk down the aisle, so we have agreed: it is time. Time for me to get a tan!! Yeah!

###

I travelled to San Francisco for a work trip last week.  It was a quick trip: left Wednesday morning at 6am and returned home at midnight on Thursday. Note to self: travelling is hard work, and I am not as young as I used to be. I hauled in a bunch of loot, so that was great. Bare Escentuals loaded me up with makeup sets and their new skin care line. And I get 25% off at Gymboree until 2012.

I love the city of San Francisco. Bare Escentuals' office was absolutely beautiful. Their elevators were pink and chandeliers hung in the lobby.  There was literally makeup everywhere: stacked in conference rooms, in hallways and on desks. A fake Sephora was set up for practicing displays. Everyone wore jeans. Their conference rooms have makeup brushes for names and Allure and Glamour covers were framed on the walls. I was right at home.

Gymboree's offices were beautiful and different as well. They have chalkboard paint on the walls.  Baby and kids clothes strewn everywhere. Their conference room has quirky lime green chairs, and green walls.

We had a great dinner with a table overlooking the Bay at Epic Roasthouse Wednesday night. Good wine and good company.

But I was never so glad to be home to my family. I missed them so much. So, so so much!

###

My mother and sister are in Florida this week without me. I have to save my vacation time for the wedding, honeymoon and the holidays. I will warn all of you that I am hanging on by a fingernail to my sanity as I NEED A VACATION. I need a vacation more than I have ever needed a vacation, and I always go on spring break. It is killing me that I am not on a beach with my family, having our afternoon drink every day. I am so excited for Jamaica, but it is so far away. I hope they have fun but this sad sister is at home in the fetal position! Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment