
A funny story I heard from a girlfriend today about getting her hair done "on the cheap" got me thinking about all of the adjustments that we make when we start having children. Add on top of the baby factor the recession factor and WOW, how times have changed for us girly girls, us lover of products. Our formerly pampered selves...are certanily less...frilly. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give up! Oh no, I will press on! Discount beauty, here I come! Coupons for hair color? Yes, don't mind if I do.
I have learned that it is kind of ridiculous to pay over $5 for body wash. Really, I don't know what I was thinking. Philosophy makes some great body washes...but so does Suave. And they smell really good. And they work as bubble bath, too. Oh, how I heart Suave's tropical coconut body wash! I wish they sold it in vats. I would definitely buy a vat of this stuff. It always makes me think of happy times, if even for only a minute. I also like Suave's limited edition Peppermint body wash. It is spa like! And has shimmer! And it's all white and pure and did I mention, spa like. For less than $2. Glorious, I say.
Let's also talk hair color: as in Loreal Preference hair color. Goodbye, salon, hello, EASY! For $8, you too can have your roots gone in the comfort of your own home. Really, I may go back to a salon for a special occasion like my wedding, and a couple times a year for a cut, but I do not even want to tell you what I have spent on hair color over the past five years. It is embarrassing. A child in an impoverished country could have had many, many things for what I have spent at pricey salons. Self, I am so mad at you. But you didn't know, you just didn't know! In addition, in my quest for those brushes that they paint your hair with at the salon, I found myself at my local Sally Beauty Supply, where I found a great $5 sugar scrub, and a $4 eye cream, among other things.
The "steal" list goes on and on...shampoo: Garnier Fructis smells fruity and nice. Dove beauty bars I love. It was about time to give up the tanning bed, so that is no loss. Surprisingly enough, now that I can't go running around town drinking martini's, I go to bed earlier, never look or feel hungover, and don't have that smoke in the hair smell in the morning - thank you, motherhood! And can you say breastfeeding: as in burns calories without even going to the gym. Nature's best invention EVER. So change can be good.
And to anyone who thinks, "I am a mom" so it doesn't matter what I look like, I say, it DOES matter. It matters because we owe it to ourselves. We owe it to the person that lived before the babies and the men came along. That person is still there, even though it's harder to find her. It matters because we owe it to our partners to be the vest version of ourselves we can be. And we owe it to our kids to be fabulous, beautiful creatures that love them and teach them how to be beautiful little people, inside and out.
Some things I will admit, I won't give up: a good face lotion and a night cream. My Nars blush. And when all else fails... I can always stash my products in the trunk and sneak them upstairs when Ian is sleeping. In our case, the early bird gets her makeup. :)
I have learned that it is kind of ridiculous to pay over $5 for body wash. Really, I don't know what I was thinking. Philosophy makes some great body washes...but so does Suave. And they smell really good. And they work as bubble bath, too. Oh, how I heart Suave's tropical coconut body wash! I wish they sold it in vats. I would definitely buy a vat of this stuff. It always makes me think of happy times, if even for only a minute. I also like Suave's limited edition Peppermint body wash. It is spa like! And has shimmer! And it's all white and pure and did I mention, spa like. For less than $2. Glorious, I say.
Let's also talk hair color: as in Loreal Preference hair color. Goodbye, salon, hello, EASY! For $8, you too can have your roots gone in the comfort of your own home. Really, I may go back to a salon for a special occasion like my wedding, and a couple times a year for a cut, but I do not even want to tell you what I have spent on hair color over the past five years. It is embarrassing. A child in an impoverished country could have had many, many things for what I have spent at pricey salons. Self, I am so mad at you. But you didn't know, you just didn't know! In addition, in my quest for those brushes that they paint your hair with at the salon, I found myself at my local Sally Beauty Supply, where I found a great $5 sugar scrub, and a $4 eye cream, among other things.
The "steal" list goes on and on...shampoo: Garnier Fructis smells fruity and nice. Dove beauty bars I love. It was about time to give up the tanning bed, so that is no loss. Surprisingly enough, now that I can't go running around town drinking martini's, I go to bed earlier, never look or feel hungover, and don't have that smoke in the hair smell in the morning - thank you, motherhood! And can you say breastfeeding: as in burns calories without even going to the gym. Nature's best invention EVER. So change can be good.
And to anyone who thinks, "I am a mom" so it doesn't matter what I look like, I say, it DOES matter. It matters because we owe it to ourselves. We owe it to the person that lived before the babies and the men came along. That person is still there, even though it's harder to find her. It matters because we owe it to our partners to be the vest version of ourselves we can be. And we owe it to our kids to be fabulous, beautiful creatures that love them and teach them how to be beautiful little people, inside and out.
Some things I will admit, I won't give up: a good face lotion and a night cream. My Nars blush. And when all else fails... I can always stash my products in the trunk and sneak them upstairs when Ian is sleeping. In our case, the early bird gets her makeup. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment