Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day jobs

I just got online and started snooping around "Etsy" the website that is "a buzz" these days, featuring regular people selling their crafts online. You know how I love a good craft; I really ♥ crafts. They just make me happy! So there is a part of etsy that features people that quit their ______ (insert boring job title) day job and now "craft" full time. Who would have thought! I have always dreamed of having a little shop, of being Kathleen Kelly on "You've got mail."  I would hire lovely people to work with, who I could chat with and sip tea and have lovely banter. (These people would NOT be militant grey haired workaholic men who cheat on their wives, by the way. Just saying.) People would go out of their way to stop at my happy little shop, and browse and buy gifts and find special things to treasure and take home with them. And I would be a nice boss and I would wear pink twinsets and floral skirts and Lauren would come in my shop and twirl around like a ballerina!...or something along those lines.

I find it necessary to day dream and envision working for myself OFTEN, since I work in corporate America. I read a blog today about a doctor who went to Haiti to volunteer for the earthquake victims, and he said it reminded him of why he went to med school in the first place. I think lately I need reminders of why I am doing what I am doing. Mainly, to pay the bills - but isn't there more to life than just that? More than just reaping the benefits of flex spending accounts and free gym memberships and retirement savings? I work for what I consider a "fluff" industry. Shopping. Consumerism. I just want to scream at the lifers here, "We work on SHOPPING malls. Shopping." People lose perspective when they've worked somewhere for many years, I guess.

I'm thankful for my job every day. With an almost 10% unemployment rate, who wouldn't be? And when I have tough days (there was an incident that may have occurred yesterday that may have involved leaving my car in a loading zone, FORGETTING to move it, walking to the parking garage, not finding my car, REMEMBERING where said car was, and almost having a heart attack of thinking I would have to call Ian to drive downtown at 6pm because my car had been towed to a faraway place) it helps me to think of me in a little shop, crafting away, far away from the ladders of corporate America.

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void."
~Kathleen Kelly 

♥ V :)

No comments:

Post a Comment