Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lifestyle Creep

While reading a financial blog I follow today, I came across a really interesting term I had never heard before: lifestyle creep.  It means that basically, over time, we get used to certain things, they become a necessity to us, and we can't live without them. (Or atleast we think we can't!) This can apply to anything - having a dishwasher. A nice car. Cable TV...

And a good job. One that makes you feel successful and uses your experience. This article really struck home with me, because I was discussing with a friend basically this exact problem just last night.  As in - once you reach a certain point in your professional life, could you ever go back to where you were before? Or do something totally "beneath you" just to make ends meet?

We have been struck with this in our household for almost two years. We're victims of the mortgage crisis. I say "we" because since we have a child together, co-parent his daughters, and live together, it affects me every day as well. Kids are expensive - duh. Kids don't care that daddy isn't working because they still want an Easter basket. I'm not complaining because we are making it. (I thank my guardian angels for this many days.) But it is an interesting question that people vary greatly in their opinions on. It seems people have a black and white way of thinking on this. And even though it might help out a little financially - my thought is this: I don't want Ian working at Walmart. I just don't.  He has ten years of experience in his field, is great at what he does, and I'm sorry, the thought of him saying "Do you want paper or plastic?" or "Do you want fries with that?" just literally breaks my heart.  So we have never "gone there."  I don't want him feeling like he has to get up and go to Walmart every day. I would rather sacrifice and have our family time together and just let this economy turn itself around and when it does, we will get back on track as a two income household.

I've asked myself the same question, seeing Ian face what he has. Could I go back to waitressing? Cleaning up after people and getting my hands dirty and getting crappy tips to pay the bills?  Could I go back to the bank and be a teller and have old people yell at me because they are confused and listen to elevator music all day?  I've come to this conclusion: If it meant putting food on the table for Lauren, I could.  I could do anything if it came to that.

I've tried to avoid lifestyle creep in my own little ways.  I make myself drive old Bonnie, because I know if I ever walked onto a car lot and smelled that new car smell, I would be a gonner.  Beam me up Scotty, I would want the newest, shiniest car on the lot. I don't have an Ipod, never have. Those Apple people suck you in and it's over!  Suddenly you have to HAVE TO have this little rectangle music playing box EVERYWHERE you go - your car, next to your alarm clock, at work, at the gym. I've chosen not to partake because I've seen what this addiction can do. I have an ex who literally went to the Apple store almost every paycheck! Same with cell phones - no I-phone or Blackberry for me.  Upgrades after two years and two years only.

I'm turning 30 this weekend, and this has just gotten me thinking...I'm happy where I'm at, with who I'm with and that's all that matters.
$$ ♥ V :)

No comments:

Post a Comment