Ian surprised me last week by renting a movie I was dying to see: Up in the Air. I've been having an affair at the cinema with George Clooney for many years now. We met in the ER in 1994. We had One Fine Day in 1996, and we were Out of Sight in 1998. It's been a love affair ever since.
I love this story, and it takes me back to a time three years ago when I lived a different life: out of a suitcase half of the time, just like Natalie Keener, the young professional with a tight ponytail, collared shirt and her laptop permanently out. I laughed out loud at her character so many times, as I can relate to her life. However, it also made me remember how it felt to feel so up in the air, so lost, so alone.
Not that I didn't love many of my moments of travel. High heels clicking in the airport with a blowout, a sense of purpose. The occasional upgrade to first class with elite status. Keys already in the car, no waiting at the Avis counter for me! I'm a preferred wizard! Sliding into clean, crisp hotel sheets and treating myself to room service with my per diem spent all in one meal. Eating dinner out on the company with my shiny green American Express. Hitting the shopping malls in cities all across the country. Houston. Los Angeles. Seattle. A room on the bay in Washington, a room on the river in Jacksonvile. I was literally tied to no one. I was free and single and young (ish).
Then there were the not so fun moments of travel. In that same room in Jacksonville entered a lizard, who spent the night with me, as there was no one after 5pm to remove him from the inn where I was staying. Those same rental cars from Avis - can actually break down twice in the same day. TWICE!! Two times!! Back from the mall of America in Minneapolis, interstates can be closed down. WHOLE interstates. Just closed. Don't even get me started on lost luggage. Try meeting a staff of people when you only had the items in your carry on to get ready for the day. Flight delays. Midnight returns on Friday night. Returning to no one that really missed you, and an empty, dark apartment.
At the time when I lived that life, the road to having a family seemed so far away. It seemed like I would never find my way. But I found it. Or rather, it found me. My family arrived a little later than I would have liked, but the delay made me who I am now. I have a little extra baggage, but nothing that I can't carry. Room service and dinners out have been replaced by home cooking every night by my chef, my co-pilot. I'm flying high now, filled with love for my daughter and my family, with four passengers next to me all on the road to the same destination.
♥ V :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment