Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thankful

Before we start the countdown to Christmas, here's what I am thankful for most this Thanksgiving weekend...there are so many things, but here's what comes to mind. :)

Having our own dinner, just Ian, Lauren and I Saturday night. Ian cooked a delicious turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and broccoli. It was simple. It was just us. The food was hot - there weren't 25 people there - and it was Lauren's first Thanksgiving. It was unplanned, but it was very special.

My parents and all of the nice things that they do for us...Lauren and I were treated like princesses for two solid days. It's nice to have a place to go back to, where you always feel like a kid. The food is your favorite, the gas tank gets filled and for a short period of time, there are no bills, obligations, or chores - only family and fun.

Lauren's piggy bank. Who knew my dad was stuffing money in it all summer when they came to visit! He let me in on the secret, and helped me get started on Lauren's Christmas shopping. What an unexpected treat.

The first day of the Christmas season when you play Christmas CD's and put up all of your old Christmas decorations. Opening the box of Chrismas ornaments you have had since you were a kid, and thinking back to when you still believed in Christmas. Lauren has her own tree and ornaments now, but it's still fun to look at the homemade ones I've carried around all of these years.

Baby Lauren...how do you really express the gratitude you feel for your children? Through all of the sacrifices, and the nights spent worrying, that little smile lights up your day - and your heart, every time. Her squeals, her babble, those baby blues looking up at you...it's what I live for.

My health. Yeah - I ate more calories than I should have, but an extra 5 or 10 pounds is a small worry compared to what some are facing. I've been reminded of that recently. This body makes it downtown 5 days a week, pounds the pavement, climbs the ladder, then comes home and snaps into mommy mode. I'm thankful that even though it's exhausting, I'm able to do it.

My Ian. We've had a hard year financially, but somehow we haven't let it affect us. We're happy. We're content. We're not made of money, but we have beautiful little girls and great family and friends. Have I mentioned that he cooks? He is a godsend...literally. I heart my Ian... ♥

His adorable children. It wasn't easy at first, but I truly love our time together. They are sweet and funny and have welcomed me with open arms. I think that God knew that I needed a family to call my own, and that Ian needed a partner and someone to tie it all together. It may not be tied together with a perfect bow, and no were not traditional, and it wouldn't be for everyone - but it takes a village to raise a child, and we're doing that every day.

Ian's family - what wonderful people! I adore them. There are no words for how they have helped us over the past year. They're just "good people." They've made me feel like a part of it all. Every time I come to pick up Lauren, it reminds me of going to my grandma and grandpa Cantwell's...the dogs barking, dinner cooking...after facing what I face at my job - it's like a little piece of heaven. Lauren loves them, I know she is safe and happy, and there is NO better feeling than that when you are a working mother.

My sister Amanda. She's hilarious. You only share DNA with a few people on this planet. When I just don't think I can take people any more, she gets it! She's a great wife and sister and aunt and daughter. There's only one "Manda."

My yayas! It's so much harder to talk or see my girlfriends now that we are all approaching 30. We've got careers, not just jobs now. Lots of irons in the fire and people that depend on us. But that just makes the talks we have that much better.

My job - as in, having one. A pretty good one.

So those are the big ones. I hope that you have just as many things in your life that you are thankful for.

♥ V :)

1 comment:

  1. I literrally got all teary eyed reading this. I don't know what my deal is anymore...I cry at the drop of a hat. Must be a little thing called motherhood. I'm so glad you have SO many wonderful things to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete